We’re in a season of making breakfast casseroles about twice a month!! Between providing a hot breakfast for our volunteers at church to delivering to a family with a new baby or feeding the college kids for a weekend breakfast, this is my tried-and-true breakfast casserole recipe that I use to make two 9×13 pans of delicious breakfast yumminess.
It’s a great recipe to either prep and make the morning of – or if you’re like me and prefer to press snooze – I like to prepare it, pop it in the fridge and then wake up just to put it in the oven in the morning.
Leftovers are also delicious in the microwave. My favorite way to eat it as leftovers is to microwave, toss it in a tortilla and top it with some salsa.
Toppings you could serve with it: salsa, sour cream, chives, Sriracha, avocado, and MORE cheese.
Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe For A Crowd
- 2 lbs mild pork sausage
- 1 lbs hot / spicy pork sausage
- 48 oz frozen hash browns (this is about a bag and a half of frozen hashbrowns)
- 12 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease two 9×13 pans. (Skip the preheating if you are planning on preparing the night before and cooking in the morning!)
- Cook and brown the sausage. Chop it up as fine or as thick as you’d like it to be for your preference! I usually go for about penny-sized pieces of sausage.
- Cook the hash browns using the instructions on the bag.
- Layer the hash browns, sausage and 1 cup of cheese into both 9×13 pans.
- Whisk together 1 cup of milk and 6 eggs and pour it into one casserole dish. Repeat with the second casserole.
- If you are planning on cooking immediately, cook it for about 50 minutes. If you are refrigerating and cooking the next morning, cook for about 75 minutes or until the casserole is cooked through.
- Optional – Add a layer of cheese to the top with about 5 minutes of baking time left for some melted cheese on the top!
This is my tried-and-true breakfast casserole recipe that I use to make two 9×13 pans of delicious breakfast yumminess.