James and I were living in Phoenix – before babies and when we were just newlyweds – and I was unemployed and basically binge watching Top Chef at all times.
This made me try out a ton of new recipes I threw together out of random ingredients that a.) I thought would be good together, and b.) that we had on-hand.
This recipe literally came out of what we had on-hand that day: frozen chicken breasts, lemon, tomato and onion.
I use a 2-quart glass Pyrex dish for this recipe so that the juices really get into the chicken. I would definitely NOT recommend using a sheet pan for this.
Buy It On Amazon: 2-Quart Glass Pyrex Baking Dish ⟶
DISCLOSURE: This link is an affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase! This just pays for my annual fee to keep this blog up and running, and occasionally for a fun date night with the hubs. Thanks for understanding!
I’ve also tested a couple of different cheeses on top of this dish, and James and I (and my mom) all agree that mozzarella is officially the best option! It just melts the best on top of the chicken dish. The key is to add it with about 10-15 minutes of baking time left to go.
I love to serve this recipe alongside sweet potato or green beans, on top of rice, and with garlic bread. SO YUMMY and so easy for an at-home date night that needs some delicious comfort food.
Easy Lemon Tomato Recipe For Two
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (this is a great recipe to use your frozen chicken for since it makes it really juicy)
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small glass or ceramic casserole dish (I use a 2 quart pyrex dish), season your chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper and any other seasoning you’d like to add. I love to include Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning.
- Chop / dice your tomato and onion. Layer your onion first followed by your tomato directly on top of the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil over the tomato. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the juices out of two lemons over top of the entire dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add the mozzarella cheese to the top of the dish and put it back in the oven for the remainder of the time. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.
Make one of my favorite dinner dishes with what you probably already have in your fridge! Chicken, tomato, lemon and onion make this a staple comfort food in our house.